Diarrhea is a very common condition in which one experience lose and watery stools frequently. Typically, this condition may last for two to three days. There occurs an acute loss of water and important minerals of the body. If the same problem persists again for a few weeks, it may be considered as a serious symptom of disorders of the gastric system such as inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome. Everyone should know how to cure Diarrhea for early treatment.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
The following are the signs that may be associated.
- Frequent stools
- Watery / loose stools
- Cramps / pain in abdomen
- Blood or mucous in stools
- Weight loss
Diarrhea is most commonly caused due to the infections that occur in the gut.
Underlying are the reasons that may cause diarrhea
- Infections caused by microorganisms, especially bacteria
- Foods that disturbs the stomach
- Food allergies
- Poor absorption of nutrients in the body
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Long distance running
- Medication allergies
- Digestive disorders like ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome
- Children or infants are at a higher risk of developing infections leading to diarrhea
- People who have a weak immune system
- Diabetic patients
- Traveling long distances
Acute diarrhea may lead to dehydration of the body.
The following complications may be associated with it
- Children may develop bacterial infections
- Thirst, dry throat, and mouth
- Fainting may be caused due to the blood pressure drop
- Extreme weakness
- No or less amount of urine
- Failure of kidneys
- Acidosis, a condition in which the acid level in the blood rises very high
- Electrolyte abnormalities in the body
- Practice a habit of hand washing at regular intervals, especially before or after cooking foods, after toilet use to avoid infections Keep a hand sanitizer handy and use it whenever hands can’t be washed
- To avoid bacterial growth, don’t keep food unserved for too long or uncovered at room temperature after cooking
- Eat food which is fully-cooked and warm
- Check and collect the information and tips about the environment and weather conditions, if planning to travel to a different place
There are a few procedures involved in determining the cause of it.
- Physical test: Includes blood pressure and pulse check, body temperature check and examination of the abdomen
- Blood and stool tests: A total blood count and stool tests help in determining the cause of infection in the body associated with it.
- Chronic diarrhea can be diagnosed by colonoscopy and x-rays
Symptoms of diarrhea mostly vanish on their own without treating
treatments may be recommended by the doctor
- Antibiotics: Kills bacteria that caused the diarrhea
- Water and fruit juices: The lost fluids and salts in the body during diarrhea may be replaced by taking
a plentyof water and juices
- Medicine dosage adjustments: Sometimes
a diarrheais caused by medicines. The doctor may adjust the dosage or recommend other medicines
- If the problem persist longer than the normal time, your doctor may ask for consulting a gastroenterologist specialist for further treatment
Symptoms of diarrhea may be minimized by lifestyle changes and try some home remedies
- Take plenty of water and fruits
- Eat semi-solid foods such as toast, eggs and rice
- High-fiber, fatty and dairy foods should be avoided
- Anti-diarrheal drugs such as lope amide and bismuth subsalicylate available over-the-counter can be used
- Supplements such as probiotics may help boost the digestive system
Points to Remember
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- The surfaces used for cooking food should be kept clean
- Boiled water beverages such as coffee and tea are safe to be taken
- Oral rehydration salt (ORS) therapy and Zinc is a good treatment as soon as one experiences dehydration caused due to it.
- Don’t take antibiotics without a doctor’s recommendation as it may worsen your condition.
I am sure that this article will be helpful to everyone. As Diarrhea is very common problem and everyone face this problem one or some point of time in life. So it is very much required for everyone to know about each and every aspects of Diarrhea like what is Diarrhea? Why it happen? And how it can be cure?
After Reading this article all your queries get answered. For any health related information you can refer – Dixit Health Learning
Dixit Health Learning is a venture created by a health care expert, Pawan Kumar Dixit – a Biotechnology graduate and Post Graduate in Management who has earned many Certificate in the field of science. Though he hails from Bihar, he has made it through in his career by traveling across India to find out the most common health conditions people and society as a whole are struggling with. His keen observation has led him to take this path that, in all possible and probable ways, can help you embrace health and well-being to the core.