fermented food health benefits – as we discussed in the last post, I was talking about Yakult. I know, you might think why I chose the next post about the fermented food, and the reason is, when I saw the word “fermented milk” on Yakult’s bottle, I decided to know more about fermentation.
hey! do you know that, In south India, idli, dosa is the favorite dishes. the process of making idli, dosa is quite interesting, which involves the fermentation.
yogurt is a good example of how fermented food improves your gut health.
many times I heard the word “Fermentation” and I was thinking to write something useful about it, But what does it mean? what are the benefits of fermentation?
Let us focus on it.
What is fermentation?
in simple words, fermentation is a technology of food processing in which microorganisms in the food grow in Fermentation. Fermentation transforms the food.
transformation of milk into curd is a example of fermentation.
Previously, the purpose of the fermentation was only increasing shelf life.
with more and more research and experiments done by experts and scientists, some more beneficial and healthy characteristics of fermented food came into focus.
anaerobic Bacteria is a key player in fermentation which cannot grow in the presence of oxygen.
bacterias like Lactobacillus or Streptococcus, Escherichia, Bacillus are major role players in the fermentation process.
fermented food for gut health
Yakult is a fermented drink which keeps gut healthy.
somewhere, it clicked in my mind that, fermentation and fermented food helps to keep our gut healthy.
Why fermented food can improve your gut health?
because, the fermented food has some good bacteria and live cultures.
In simple words, we can say that fermented food fills your gut with good bacteria, maintains smooth digestion and healthy Bowel movement.
fermentation increases shelf life, but it doesn’t mean that all food items with a longer life are made with fermentation.
some of the items are made with vinegar which increases the shelf life, but it doesn’t contain probiotics.
it’s a good practice to check whether food has made with the natural fermentation process or not. I know you are curious to know that, which fermented food is good for you. before diving into this point, let us discuss in short about,
Fermented food health benefits
Fermentation is a very old technique, which used by people to preserve their food for a longer time.
fermentation transforms the food and changes its taste.
in the fermentation process, microorganisms like yeast or bacteria convert organic compound of the food substance into acid and alcohol. another example of the fermentation is the conversion of sugar into lactic acid.
a lactose intolerant person can easily digest the yogurt because of fermentation because sugar in the lactose converts into lactic acid and makes yogurt digestible.
What are the benefits of Fermented Food
- Fermented food improves digestion system which improves gut health
- It Reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Improves bowel movement
- Strengthen your immunity
- Fermented food like yogurt, Kefir, Kombucha not only increase the count of good bacteria but also gives nutritional values and vitamins like calcium, vitamin k, vitamin B, Iron, magnesium and many other nutrients
- increases count of good bacteria in the Gastrointestinal tract
- fermented food helps to improve mental health which helps to fight with mental diseases like anxiety, depression and other mental health-related issues.
fermented food list and examples
I tried Yakult and shared my experience.
In my previous post, I talked about yogurt and these 2 dairy foods are the best examples of fermentation which boosts your immunity along with improvement of digestion.
almost all Indian people love idli, Dosa, idli dosa are examples of fermentation.
except for idli and dosa, yogurt, curd, Yakult, There are many fermented food items which are good for health.
let us take a look which are they.
- Kefir – Kefir is fermented milk. It tastes like Yogurt. Kefir gives vitamin B12, Probiotics, enzymes and calcium, and many other nutrients.
- Sauerkraut – another fermented food with many health benefits. It gives you protein, Fiber, vitamin k, vitamin c, potassium, manganese, iron, and many other health benefits.
- Kombucha – the most discussed probiotic food after kefir is Kombucha. it gives you all the benefits of any probiotic food. as per the study, kombucha is very effective and beneficial for IBS people.
- as per research, it has observed that kombucha can reduce the risk of cancer.
- Kombucha is an excellent fermented drink which helps you to fight against many diseases and keeps you healthy.
- Strengthen the liver, helps in weight loss, helps to fight against depression and anxiety. reduce bowel inflammation
- Curd, yogurt, buttermilk is also beneficial for gut health
fermented food and weight loss
Weight loss is a favorite topic of many people.
experts always suggest some diet changes and exercises for weight loss.
Fat trigger cells activate due to inflammation in the gut.
brain store fats due to gut inflammation which causes increases body weight. Fermented food reduces inflammation which helps in weight loss.
according to, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5960470/
gut microorganisms play an important role in weight gain or weight loss.
fermented food increases good bacteria in your gut which helps to maintain gut health.
with these 2 interesting researches can we conclude that, fermented food helps in weight loss?