What comes in your mind, when you heard the word Bacteria?
Most of the people will say, when I heard the word Bacteria I thought It would be something harmful, something dangerous for my health and I must stay away from it, right?!
But no my friends! in some cases, you get something different which you never expect and the same thing happened when you heard the word good bacteria.
So, What are the good bacteria? and why do you need Good bacteria in your stomach?
Good Bacteria are nothing but the,
Own soldiers of your gut. Did you know, our body has its own soldiers… Can you guess who are they? Yes! It is Probiotics that is a type of bacteria. All bacteria are not like a ghost, in fact, you couldn’t survive without bacteria. though it seems strange, it is true.
So, What is Probiotic?
Probiotic itself gives its meaning. Pro means to promote and bio means life. It means probiotics are life-promoting bacteria which are good for your body especially for your digestive system.
We usually assume that bacteria are germs which cause diseases, but there are two types of bacteria i.e. good and bad bacteria. A human body is full of bacteria with both good and bad.
Probiotic are usually called good bacteria which perform the role of soldiers for your gut or digestive system.
Do Probiotic Really Exist? How?
As we know, our body consists of zillion of cells. Imagine 10 times of those. Those many bacteria we have in our body including both good and bad.
Sometimes we smell the gas which is usually said Fart. That is nothing but waste product produced by bacteria after digestion of food.
When intestines are overloaded with this gas, it is escaped in the form of a fart. It is produced in more extent when you eat food items which are hard to digest like beans or some fatty food.
What Does it mean?
It means that bacteria do exist in our body, in fact, our body is full of bacteria.
What Do Probiotics Do?
Probiotics help your digestive system to breakdown unbreakable substances like carbohydrates and fatty acid.
Probiotic also fights off harmful bacteria and increase the count of good bacteria in your gut.
As per the research, good bacteria multiple themselves and increases their population on their own and automatically there will be less count of bad bacteria and if there is more count of good bacteria in the gut, your gut will be happy and healthy.
Though they multiply themselves, they increase their population up to equilibrium. Equilibrium is the stage where everything is balanced.
Good bacteria perform some crucial tasks for your body some of them are:
- They help to send food to control your intestinal or gut movement.
- Helps to slow down the gut movement if it is very fast because we know fast gut movement causes diarrhea.
- It helps to synthesize vitamin B and K.
- Terminates the growth of bad bacteria in your gut.
- It helps to regulate secretion of mucus.
Types of bacteria:
GI Jake: GI Jake is one of the very good friends of your gut. It is a type of probiotic. It is a bifidobacterium type of probiotic.
Bifid means to split into two. It has two ear-like structure called Lobes. The bacterium is nothing more than a singular form of bacteria.
Bifidobacterium G I Jake can:
• Fight off bad bacteria in your gut to keep your gut healthy.
• Separates harmful toxins from bacteria in your gut.
• Stimulate your immune system.
• Helps to controls the overgrowth of cells.
• Produce vitamins like vitamin B12 and vitamin k.
• Helps you to protect from allergies.
• Helps in the digestion of food.
Saccharomyces boulardii is the type of yeast. People in many countries use Saccharomyces boulardii as treatment and prevention from diarrhea.
Saccharomyces boulardii has been proven as the effective agent as it performs functions like to enjoin or prohibit the growth of microbe pathogens, ease the symptoms of diarrhea and other GI(gastrointestinal) problems.
Scientists are still working to find out other potentials of Saccharomyces boulardii.
Lactobacilli is a type of bacteria that present In our digestive system. It also present in some of the dairy products.
It can be treated for:
• Lactobacilli are used to prevent the symptoms of diarrhea.
• It also helps to treat other stomach infections and digestion problem
• Some people use Lactobacilli to treat irritable bowel syndrome and serious gut issue called Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) generally found in premature babies.
• Lactobacilli are also useful for skin disorders like fever blister and acne.
Increase the population of good bacteria through:
Fermentation is most common and often used way for the production of probiotics.
We have bacteria around us. Fermentation process collects these bacteria and offers a comfortable place to bacteria for their growth.
Fermentation process not only produces Lactic acid, Acetic acid, and alcohol but also produces preservatives which maintain the nutrients and prevent spoilage of food product.
We can get Probiotics from Yogurt, buttermilk, sauerkraut (fermented cabbage), and bacterially fermented cheese.
How to Increase the population of probiotics?
- Have good intake of fruits in your diet.
- Eat fermented food at good extent.
- Avoid an excess intake of artificial sweeteners.
- Don’t be lazy to eat all the grains.
- Beans are useful to increase the population of good bacteria.
- Cut out excess intake of sugar and processed food.
- Avoid overuse of antibiotics.
- Eat healthy food.
Probiotics Are Also Useful For
- Bacteria are widely used to make Yogurt and cheese. Yogurt is simply fermented milk.
- You can ferment even white cabbage by using bacteria i.e.sauerkraut which is called sour cabbage.
- Scientists also use bacteria to make medicines and vaccines.
- Bacteria are also used in pickling food items.
Though Prebiotics and Probiotics sound same, they are very different from each other and performs different role. Prebiotics are nothing but lovable food for probiotics. Probiotics live upon prebiotics.
Prebiotics is a form of dietary fiber which is non-digestible part of food which passes through small intestine towards large colon in undigested form to get ferment over there.
So increase these soldiers and keep your tummy and digestive system healthy and happy.
The information provided in this post including all types of graphics and media and other material is for information purpose only. The purpose of this post is to help the reader for various health topics. It is not intended to be substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other expert with any query you have regarding medical condition or treatment and never neglect or disregard professional or medical advice or delay because of something you have read in this post. Remedies you try from this post is strictly at your own risk.